So I kinda missed a week of mummy meditation.  My mind was so full of jobs and thoughts and reactions to train news that I didn't allow any space for my weekly verse.  I didn't allow space to think over it whilst I was working, whilst I was walking to nursery, whilst I was in the shower.  Instead, that space was filled with useless worrying and going back and forth.  Nothing has changed and my worrying thoughts haven't changed the situation we are in, but one thing has changed.  I definitely feel further away from God the past two weeks.  Instead of running to my refuge (see last time's mummy meditation) and really clinging to my bible verse and the truth held within it, I have been tossed about by emotional waves.  

So here is my attempt at some thoughts on the last verse I set:

"And God is able to bless you abundantly, so that in all things, at all times, having all that you need, you will abound in every good work."  2 Corinthians 9:8

Now first off - I love this verse!  It is all about generosity from God and generosity from us too (something I feel very passionate about).  But I had to stop myself from just reading it and it just washing over me and not really sinking in.  It is so easy to read this first bit and to stop - God is able to bless you abundantly.  That is fantastic!  Yes God is able to do that, and a lot of people preach this as a way to get people interested in Christianity.  But we need to make sure that we carry on through this verse.

Why does God bless us abundantly?  It is NEVER about us.  It is NEVER about us sitting in our nice comfy houses eating chocolate cake.  God never wanted us to be gluttons who love him, but to be able to take what he gives us and pass it on.  Maybe God blesses us with a whole chocolate cake - why?  It is NEVER so we can sit and eat the whole thing, but maybe we have one slice and then take it down the street and share with all our neighbours?  Maybe we take it into work and share it with our colleagues?  God only blesses us so that we can pass it on.  And yes he wants us to have what we need, but we should NEVER become a reservoir, storing up the blessings just for ourselves.  We should be a river, letting the blessings flow into us but also out from us, and they then increase for others further downstream. 

I am sure we all have stories of God's providence in times of need.  I have another this week.  To add to my ever increasing list of things going wrong (see my last post!) our washing machine decided to break this week.  But it didn't fill me with dread or get me upset because I knew that God had already provided the money we need for a new one.  Earlier that week I had gone to the bank and there was extra money in our account!  I thought it was odd, turns out it was tax credit rebate, but was pleasantly surprised and thinking of all the things I could do with it.  Turns out God already knew what it was there for!!

So God isn't going to leave us in trouble - he can provide everything we need - but we really need to strive hard not to become gluttons of God's blessings, but to make sure we use them to equip us for good works.

What did you think about this weeks verse?

NEXT WEEK  Here is next weeks, and I am going to try to get myself back on track!!!

"The world of the generous gets larger and larger, the world of stingy gets smaller and smaller" Proverbs 11:24

Labels: , , , ,