Today's topic is very personal to me as I guess I have tried to strive to use my social media presence and intertwine it with my mission here on earth.  I for one am an advocate of social media being used for mission and I will explain why later, but first I wanted to just define what I mean by the word mission:

Mission is following Christ's calling on our lives to share the gospel with a lost world.




Now I realise that everyone has their own personal mission, the group of people that they are specifically called to reach out to or a particular activity through which they reach out, but everyone who is a Christian is called and has a mission, no exceptions.  The Great Commission to go and make disciples is to all of us.

So how can we use social media to achieve that?  In one sentence - by living our Christian life online in the same way that we would live it offline.  A massive part of being a Christian is having integrity - we are honest and vulnerable and we share our failings but we also try to live a life of purity in the image of Jesus.  So when we use social media it should be a true reflection of ours lives in Christ, not a mask of what we want people to see.  I love this verse below and it has really challenged me about the things that I post on facebook and twitter:



Wherever you post something online it is going to be seen by both Christians and Non-Christians, so it is a really easy, but also dangerous, way to show them how your life has changed by having Jesus in it.  You can be a witness by the words you post as you have a captive audience of friends and followers who will be reading it.  So we need to be really careful, but also truthful, about what we post.  We need to enter into the mindset that our whole lives, both on and offline, are an act of worship and our mission field.  We may only have 50 friends on facebook (I of course have WAYYY more than that because I am the friend every wants on facebook....), but they also have 50 friends, and they have 50 friends.  Our sphere of influence is potentially massive so we need to use this for the power of the gospel.

So here are a few practical ideas that I have found useful for how we can use social media for mission: